ULTERIORI ATTIVITA' FORMATIVEAcademic Year 2018/2019 - 1° Year
Credit Value: 3
Laboratories: 36 hours
Term / Semester: 2°
- Knowledge and understanding: starting from a problem, the student will learn to investigate it using mathematical software.
- Applying knowledge and understanding: given its highly applied structure, the class will develop the ability to apply the acquired competences.
- Making judgements: the "answers" obtained with the software need to be critically analized. In many cases the raw data or the graphical representations need to be validated and understood.
- Communication skills: one of the main goals of the class is to organiza material, also in the form of a small written essay.
- Learning skills: the students will work in groups. In such a way the work load will appear not as tiring, and good students will learn how to explain facts while the less brilliant students will have the possibility of improving their performances.
The course will be given in a computer lab. The activities are of laboratorial type, with a first description of the argument followed by a work in front of a computer, with the possibility of working in groups, discussing with other students and the teacher.
Detailed Course Content
A part of the class will be dedicated to learning how to write mathematical manuscripts with LaTeX. The other part will be dedicated to the use of the computer to investigate mathematical problems and obtain answers in graphical form. Such graphical representations can be then used to write a pleasant mathematical document.
1. T. Oetiker, H. Partl, I. Hyna, E. Schlegl (1999). The not so short introduction to LaTeX. Retrieved from https://tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf
2. Notes of the teacher